One of Pakistan’s most exciting Regional One Day Cup 2017-18 finally comes to an end with a superb outcome. Eight regional teams participated in the event including Karachi Whites (KHI Whites), Rawalpindi (RWP), Peshawar (PESH), Islamabad (ISL), Lahore Blues (LHR Blues), Faisalabad (FSD), Lahore Whites (LHR Whites) and Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). The tournament started on 25th Jan 2018 and ends on 11th Feb 2018 where 31 matches were played at Rawalpindi/Islamabad venues.
The format of the tournament was very interesting where each team played 1 match against each other in before Knockouts (Semi Final & Final). Karachi Whites, Rawalpindi and Peshawar won 5 matches each out of 7 to qualify for the Semi Final. Islamabad who won just 3 matches similar to Lahore Blues and Faisalabad qualified for Semis because of better Net Run Rate (NRR). Lahore Whites won 2 matches and FATA won just 1 match in the tournament.
Islamabad who were underdogs in most part of the tournament, shocked Peshawar by defeating them by massive 233 runs and qualified for Semi-final, also defeated Rawalpindi in the Semi Final match. On the other hand, good looking Karachi Whites won their Semi Final match against Peshawar by 5 wickets. The form of Karachi Whites and back-to-back surprise performances by Islamabad makes the situation very interesting.
In FINAL of the National One Day Cup 2017-18, Islamabad won the toss and elected to bat first. They set a massive target of 348 on scoreboard but KHI Whites chased the target super-efficiently in 49.3 runs. Player of the Final match, FAWAD ALAM played an extra-ordinary knock of 149 off 130 for his team followed by UnBeaten knock of 86(65) by Danish Aziz.
KARACHI Whites become National One Day Cup Champions 2018 by defeating ISLAMABAD in the FINAL Match at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium!
Karachi Whites won 5 out of 7 matches before Knock-out Stage. They won the Semi Final & Final of the tournament to become the Champion side. Khi Whites were dominant throughout their Journey. In Batting Department; Khurram Manzoor (522), Asad Shafiq (456) and Akbar-ur-Rehman (424) contributed a lot in batting Department. They are the well-deserving winners of 2018. In Bowling Department; Zia-ul-Haq (14 wkts), Anwar Ali (14 wkts) and Mohammad Asghar (12 wkts) proved themself strong bowlers under batting-friendly conditions.
There are so many notable performances to be highlighted. We have compiled all the information for our readers, so one can easily get an idea about the finds of National One Day Cup 2017-18.
Top Batting & Bowling Performances in National One Day Cup 2018:
Highest Runs Scorers of the Tournament:
1. Shan Masood (ISL) 656 runs at an average of 109.33 with 2 Hundreds & 4 Fifties in 8 Innings
2. Iftikhar Ahmed (PESH) 522 runs at an average of 104.4 with 1 Hundred & 5 Fifties in 8 Innings
3. Khurram Manzoor (KHI Whites) with 522 runs at an average of 74.57 with 1 Hundred & 3 Fifties in 9 Innings
Highest Individual knocks:
1. Abid Ali (Islamabad) 209* against Peshawar
2. Khurram Manzoor (Khi Whites) 187 against Islamabad
3. Shan Masood (Islamabad) 182* against Rawalpindi
Highest Wicket Takers of the Tournament:
1. Mohammad Imran (FSD) took 14 wickets in 7 innings at an average of 18.35 & Economy rate of 4.48
2. Zia-ul-Haq (KHI) took 14 wickets in 8 innings at an average of 23.5 & Economy rate of 5.22
3. Taj Wali (PESH) took 14 wickets in 8 innings at an average of 28.85 & Economy rate of 5.24
Most impressive bowling Spells:
1. Raza Hasan (ISL) took 4 wkts for 27 runs against FATA
2. Bilawal Iqbal (LHR Blues) took 4 for 34 against FATA
3. Qaiser Ashraf (LHR Blues) took 4 for 34 against KHI Whites
Top all-rounders of the Tournament:
1. Khushdil Shah (FATA) scored 389 runs in 7 inns and took 7 wickets in 6 inns
2. Mohammad Imran (FSD) scored 113 runs in 5 inns & took 14 wickets in 7 inns
3. Israrullah (PESH) scored 405 runs in 8 inns & took 7 wkts in 8 inns
Hopefully, the tournament will help Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to consider young, emerging & seasoned in-form cricketers for the upcoming international tours. It was a worth-following tournament for every Pakistan Cricket supporter/fan around the globe.