Pakistan Women’s cricket team started their cricket journey on 28th January 1997 vs New Zealand Women’s Team at Christchurch. In almost 20 years of this cricketing journey Pakistan Womens Team has performed below par as compared to some other top teams. We can not blame Pakistan women’s cricket for this downfall as the culture in Islamic Republic Of Pakistan is very different as compared to other cricket playing nations and rightly so the statistics column is not in favor of our Women Cricket Team.
Generally the culture and atmosphere for our womens is not that open, that’s why people here feels shy to allow their girls to participate in any sports. Womens here are mostly stick to home matters and this is the reason behind the downfall of women cricket in our country. But we still have to appreciate our women’s and those families who allows their girls to represent their beloved country at International Level.
After discussing the whole scenario of our culture and participation of women in sports specially cricket, i have to choose top five best performances of our Womens cricket team in 20 years of cricketing journey.
According to stats our Womens have played 144 ODI’s in almost a tenure of 20 years and 6 months but only managed to won just 40 matches. We have preferred to choose victories against some top cricket teams excluding associates and low ranked teams as well.
Here are the Top five performances according to my point of view and analysis:
5) My fifth choice as the best performance of Pakistan’s Women Cricket team is also against West Indies in the 4th ODI of seven matches ODI series at Karachi Gymkhana Ground on 27th March 2004. Pakistan Womens won the toss and elected to bat first. Pakistan Womens team managed to score 163/7 in allotted 50 overs. Kiran Baluch the opener who got run out on 47 was the highest scorer of the match and she was also declared as player of the match. West Indies Women just fell short by 4 runs in a low scoring thriller. 5 runs were required on 6 balls with 1 wicket in hand but skipper Shaiza Khan cleaned up C.Atkins on the very first ball of the 50th over.
4) My 4th Pick among the Top five performances of Pakistan Womens Team is when Pakistan Women’s Team defeated West Indies Women’s team in a low scoring thriller at Karachi Gymkhana Ground on 25th March 2004 in the 3rd ODI of the series. It was basically Seven Matches ODI series and Pakistan Womens team only managed to won two ODI’s against a strong West Indies Women’s Team. These 2 victories are our two top performance of Pakistan’s women Cricket.
West Indies Womens won the toss and elected to field first. Pakistan Womens team managed to score 160/9 in allotted 50 overs. Only five players entered into double figures with highest from Shaiza Khan who was also skipper remained Not Out on 30. In reply West Indies Women failed to chase a low total of 160. They got trapped by Pakistan Women’s on 140 in 47.2 overs. It was an all-round performance from skipper Shaiza Khan who was leading run scorer from Pakistan’s Women side and also got 4 wickets for 24 runs in 9 overs. She was declared as player of the match as well.
3) I have Picked 2nd ODI of Women’s Quadrangular Series Pakistan Women vs Sri Lanka Womens at Colombo, Apr 26, 2011 as 3rd top victory of Pakistan Womens Cricket Team. It was a rain affected match which was reduced to 27 overs. Pakistan Womens won the toss & elected to field first. The whole SLW team got out in 25th over for just 68 runs. The target on paper was quite easy but Pakistan Women’s team chased the target on the last ball of the last over and won the match by 2 wickets. Only one batsmen from SLW, LE Kaushalya entered into double figures. Qanita Jalil was the standout performer who just gave 7 runs in 5 overs and took 2 wickets.
2) My 2nd pick among the top five performances of Pakistan Womens team is 2nd ODI of ICC Women’s Championship at Sharjah on Jan 11, 2015. Pakistan Women won the toss & elected to bat first and managed to score 138/9 in 50 overs. Skipper Sana Mir was the highest scorer for PW with 34 runs. In reply SLW bundled out for just 126 in 45.1 overs. Sadia Yousaf & Bisma Maroof jointly took 6 wickets of SLW team to lead Pakistan to a marginal victory of 12 runs in a very below par total of just 138.
1) Pakistan Womens vs South Africa Womens, Semi-Final of ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier at Dhaka on Nov 24, 2011 is my first pick among the top five performances by our womens. It was a must win game and SAW won the toss and opted to bat first. They settled a big target of 181 in 50 overs for a weak Pakistan Womens batting line up. Pakistan Women’s were 4 down on just 43 in 15.2 overs and situation was in favor of SAW team but 58 runs stand between Nain Abidi & Javeria Khan somehow raised the hopes of PW and fans as well. PW were 7 down for 140 in 41.4 overs and 41 runs were still required in 50 balls with just 3 wickets left. Marina Iqbal & Asmavia Iqbal geared up and snacthed victory from SAW to qualify for the Finals. Javeria Khan with the score of 47 was the stand out performer for Pakistan.